Treatment of Peri-Implantitis (Failing Implants)
Peri-implant diseases are inflammatory conditions affecting the gum tissues and bone around dental implants. Similar to a natural tooth, bacteria can build up on the base of the implant below the gum line. Over time, the bacteria irritate the gum tissue, causing it to become inflamed and damaging the tissue. If not caught early, this can cause the bone structure below the implant to deteriorate.
Signs and symptoms of peri-implant disease include:
- Redness or bleeding around the implant
- Swelling or pus around the implant
- Bone loss around the implant (seen on an x-ray)
- Pain or tenderness in the gums around the implant
- Gum recession causing the metal of the implant to show
- Loosening of the implant and/or crown
Peri-implantitis is a serious condition that could cause you to lose your dental implant if allowed to progress. Dr. Paulson or Dr. Ramirez is expertly trained in dealing with implant complications and can provide treatment to eliminate harmful bacteria, stop bone loss, regenerate new bone growth, and encourage gum reattachment to the implant. In severe cases, dental implants may need to be removed. Drs. Paulson or Ramirez will evaluate your dental implants by a clinical and radiographic exam to determine the best approach to treating them.
Before & Afters
- Case 1